MaxBarry.com
the x is for xtreme

Max Barry wrote the novels Syrup, Jennifer Government, Company, Machine Man, and Lexicon. He also created the game NationStates and once found a sock full of pennies.

Blog

Sun 31
Jul
2011

Antipodean Machines

Machine Man Machine Man is out in Australia and New Zealand today, because of the time difference. We’re eight days and fourteen hours ahead of the US. I don’t know if you knew that. It’s because the Southern Hemisphere rotates slightly faster than the Northern Hemisphere. That’s why the seasons are different, too. Also, most of what you think is an accent is actually just the Doppler effect.

Anyway, the point is that residents of Australia and New Zealand should now be visiting bookstores and moving my book to more prominent positions. Bookstore owners say they hate that, but they’re just crotchety because of the whole collapsing industry thing. They’ll thank you when that eye-catching cover brings in more foot traffic.

Northern Hemispherians have to wait until next week. You know my Australian publisher did this specifically to annoy you. Not only that, but they’re running a promotion whereby antipodes can get a free e-copy with every print edition. I’m not sure how that helps anyone, come to think of it. I guess if you like the look and feel of print books but the convenience of digital, it’s good. Or if you want to test which medium you prefer by reading the exact same book once on each. If that describes you, details are craftily hidden on this page.

Comments

This is where site members post comments. If you're not a member, you can join here. There are all kinds of benefits, including moral superiority!

Matt (#5546)

Location: US
Posted: 2638 days ago

I can't wait to go to Barnes and Noble and ask them for every copy they have and set up a little table right by the front door that says FREE MUSTACHE RIDES with every purchase of Machine Man by Max Barry. (see manager for details!) HOTCAKES, MAX, HOTCAKES!!!

Machine Man subscriber Max

Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote: "I'm my number one fan!"
Posted: 2638 days ago

YOU ARE MY NEXT PUBLICITY MANAGER

Machine Man subscriber Mapuche (#1184)

Location: Darwin, Australia
Quote: "Inconceivable!"
Posted: 2638 days ago

Just ordered online (maybe I'll be lucky and get the e-book too) but will probably buy the kindle version as well when it becomes available soon.

Machine Man subscriber Kyle (#3321)

Location: Burnie, Tasmania
Posted: 2638 days ago

Dude. I pre-ordered through Amazon in April, and they've already shipped my copy. Scribe tells me I miss out on the eBook because I'm not buying today's print copy. I feel a little penalised for being awesome, here.

Machine Man subscriber Max

Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote: "I'm my number one fan!"
Posted: 2638 days ago

That would be a territorial thing. Scribe's promotion is for its Australian edition, not the US Vintage edition. But you're right, you are being penalized for awesomeness.

Machine Man subscriber Adam Willard (#4231)

Location: Madagascar
Quote: "What unseen pen etched eternal things in the hearts of humankind... but never let them in our minds?"
Posted: 2638 days ago

I'd like to have both copies just because I can leave one in the house and I can easily take one with me, even if (when) I move to the other side of the world! But I guess ordering the US edition from Amazon won't be any help, huh? :-(

Raj (#5547)

Posted: 2638 days ago

Is it coming out as a hardcover at any point?

Machine Man subscriber Alan W (#1427)

Location: Spokane, Washington
Quote: "Corgis are like potato chips"
Posted: 2638 days ago

Apparently the bits for the eBook version aren't valid in my country, so I can't buy it.

WTF?

Machine Man subscriber Alan W (#1427)

Location: Spokane, Washington
Quote: "Corgis are like potato chips"
Posted: 2638 days ago

Well, at least it's available on Aug 8th on iTunes. Apparently it takes that long to convert the bits. Your publisher needs to upgrade to a 486, I think.

stanley becker (#5283)

Location: black hole
Quote: "DON"T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER!!"
Posted: 2638 days ago

GREAT BALLS OF FIRE - MAX!!!

Machine Man subscriber Hyper (#4612)

Location: Texas, USA
Quote: ""A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. " --Mark Twain"
Posted: 2638 days ago

Wish the bundle wasn't just an Aussie thing. I think it's a great idea. I guess I will have to buy the online copy for now since I'm in Korea. I can't wait to read the full version!

Christopher (#3016)

Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote: "What's a battle?"
Posted: 2638 days ago

Great news! All I need now is the money.

Melinda Kovac (#583)

Location: South Australia
Quote: "Nothing says feminine like a burping contest"
Posted: 2638 days ago

Popped into my local Dymocks today and got myself your book :)

Look forward to reading it!

Machine Man subscriber Chemical Rascal (#3964)

Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote: "Don't read this. It's not relevant to anything. Go away."
Posted: 2638 days ago

I am a college student and I don't have any clothespegs to dry my shirts with, which is a shame, because I like my shirts.

Because of this, I feel it is my duty to buy as many copies as possible, wait until the opening night of Syrup, and shamelessly sell them outside the cinemas.

There will be much profit, and hence I will be able to buy all the clothespegs I want. It will be the genesis of a clothespeg empire! Thank you for this opportunity, Max.

Jane (#321)

Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote: "Which is worse: Ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares?"
Posted: 2638 days ago

I was in Readings (SLV store) on Friday (29 July) and it very prominently positioned, on the stand of books just in from the door. I saw Machine Man as soon as I walked in. So there was no need to move it. :)

Bill (#2812)

Location: Washington DC
Quote: "Impossible you say? Nothing's impossible when you work for the circus!"
Posted: 2638 days ago

Max, does it make any (monetary) difference to you if I buy the hardback or the kindle version? This may be an entirely Google-able question, but I want to do right by my favorite author. Thanks.

Machine Man subscriber Max

Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote: "I'm my number one fan!"
Posted: 2637 days ago

Adam Willard:
> I'd like to have both copies just because I can leave one in the house and I
> can easily take one with me, even if (when) I move to the other side of the
> world! But I guess ordering the US edition from Amazon won't be any help,
> huh? :-(

No, the e-bundle thingy is a Scribe promotion for the Australian edition.

Raj:
> Is it coming out as a hardcover at any point?

Nope, it's a paperback original.

voidref:
> Apparently the bits for the eBook version aren't valid in my country,
> so I can't buy it.
>
> WTF?

I think this is because you're in the US and it's not released until August 9.

Christopher:
> Great news! All I need now is the money.

Me too!

Bill:
> Max, does it make any (monetary) difference to you if I buy the
> hardback or the kindle version? This may be an entirely Google-able
> question, but I want to do right by my favorite author. Thanks.

There's no hardcover, but I see more from an e-book sale than a paperback sale. I think my royalty is 8% of the paperback RRP and 25% of the e-book. So I get about $1.20 per physical book and $2.50 per ebook.

Machine Man subscriber Max

Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote: "I'm my number one fan!"
Posted: 2637 days ago

Thank you everyone for checking stock, buying a copy, mentioning it somewhere, and formulating plans to buy clothespegs! Not often I have a book out, it makes a huge difference to my life, and I really appreciate the support.

John Thomson (#5303)

Location: Gretna, UK
Quote: ""And that was how I taught them to stop asking me for help with Windows.""
Posted: 2637 days ago

I hope my localish Waterstones gets a copy. If they don't, I'm certainly going to complain, and if they do, I might buy two and give one to the local library if they don't have a copy, can you believe they only ever had one of your books and it is "Lost or stolen"? It's insane.

But yeah, it is coming out in the UK on the 9th August 2011, right?

Machine Man subscriber Alan W (#1427)

Location: Spokane, Washington
Quote: "Corgis are like potato chips"
Posted: 2636 days ago

Max, thanks for answering, I preordered it at the time and can't wait!

Machine Man subscriber gStein (#585)

Location: 127.0.0.1
Quote: "That's not change! That's more of the same!"
Posted: 2636 days ago

Let me just go to my local Borders and, oh wait...
Just kidding, i ordered it back in May from Amazon.

Oh, and i read the online version 2 years ago. I will be interested to see how much has changed.

Glenn (#5554)

Posted: 2633 days ago

Hey Max

Looking forward to reading Machine Man. Jennifer Government is one of my favourite books, so you've got a lot to live up to. Good to see a local boy (I'm from Traralgon) doing so well and writing stuff I enjoy.

Comments are now closed for this post.

Built on Blosxom